As reported by Stereogum, Jona Bechtolt has left The Blow. Luckily, he has made some instrumental versions of Blow songs and YACHT songs available. You should probably check it here for remix and mashup purposes. Also, don't forget to download "Parenthesis" which has been terrorizing me at coffee shops in the Mission for half a year!
The Blow - Parentheses
The Blow at K Records
The Blow on MySpace
10. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
Sure, it didn't go over as well as Funeral (probably cause the dance elements were toned down), but this album is every bit as inspirational as its predecessor.
Arcade Fire - (Antichrist Television Blues)
09. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
This magnum breakup opus is full of intelligent lyrics and musical surprises. Little time signature variations, twelve minute songs that don't get old...go Elephant 6!
Of Montreal - We Were Born the Mutants Again With Leafling
08. Justice, †
"Cross" spawned massive summer hit "D.A.N.C.E." and endless remixes. Looking past all that, you've got a solid electro-crunch album with some dark edges. Expect these songs in the soundtrack of some sci-fi blockbuster to come!
Justice - Phantom pt. I
07. Feist, The Reminder
It's hard to accept that Feist has been adopted into the Starbucks crowd, but I have to say she put it best on the Today Show - "What we're up to hasn't changed a bit, it's just that some other people seem to be clueing in."
Feist - My Moon My Man
06. LCD Soundsystem, North American Scum
James Murphy made a run at cracking the Billboard 200 this year, and guess what? He made it to 46! Paired with the proper release of 45:33, I think he had a pretty good year.
LCD Soundsystem - Time To Get Away
05. The National, Boxer
Their most restrained album to date (no screaming!) but also possibly their most beautiful. "Fake Empire" makes me go all gushy inside every time.
The National - Fake Empire
04. Menomena, Friend And Foe
It's a shame these guys aren't more popular. Every member playing multiple instruments within the same song? That's insane! Perhaps more impressive is that it never feels like a gimmick - each addition is essential.
Menomena - Wet And Rusting
03. Studio, Yearbook 1
I discovered these guys on a trip to London and haven't looked back since. I'm not usually a fan of sixteen minute songs, but they throw in new twists and developments so often that I'm completely captivated. Now, if only they would make it to the States sometime...
Studio - Self Service
02. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Gimme Fiction was a bit of a letdown for me - I thought it was too drawn out. This year Britt Daniel and co. cut the songs down to short catchy ditties with some weirdness at the edges. "My Little Japanese Cigarette Case" reminds me of Spoon of old, and it's good to have them back!
Spoon - My Little Japanese Cigarette Case
01. Radiohead, In Rainbows
Being a huge Radiohead fan for a majority of my life, In Rainbows at #1 was an inevitability. Although less than pleased with the production (get back Nigel!), the songs are stellar and the strings that pop up in most songs add an intriguing dynamic to their constantly evolving songs.
Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
10. Radiohead - Unravel (Pocket Mix)
An excellent remix of an excellent cover!
09. Half Cousin - The Absentee (Fujiya & Miyagi Remix)
Folk just got the electronic treatment...
08. Chromeo - Needy Girl (Bloc Party Remix)
Man, Bloc Party's just popping up on all these lists!
07. Justice - D.A.N.C.E. (Les Rythmes Digitales Remix)
Of the many D.A.N.C.E. remixes this year, this one is most best-est.
06. The Aliens - Robot Man (Hot Chip Remix)
Downtempo + electronica = Hot Chip's specialty!
05. Bang Gang - Find What You Get (Shout Out Out Out Out Remix)
I hate having to explain both band names when asked about this song.
04. Liars - It Fit When I was a Kid (Crystal Castles Remix)
Crystal Castles have got us dancing to Liars again! Huzzah!
03. Stars - Your Ex-Lover Is Dead (Final Fantasy Remix)
Nice one, Owen! A very popular one with the ladies...the song, that is.
02. Feist - Sealion (Chromeo Remix)
I think Feist should do another remix album with all the goodness from The Reminder.
01. Shout Out Louds - Impossible (Remake by Studio)
This was sorta of my theme song for the last part of this year. Unbeatable!
10. The Section Quartet - Phenomena
I bet the YYYs never envisioned being covered by a string quartet!
09. Manchester Orchestra - Brother
Taking epic...to the bedroom!
08. Tokyo Police Club - Citizens of Tomorrow (Space Ballad)
Is a band allowed to cover their own song?
07. The Wrens - Nightswimming
The best Wrens song in almost 5 years!
06. The National - Pretty In Pink
Between this cover and this video it's been quite a year for Molly Ringwald!
05. The Postmarks - Dreamer
Astrud Gilberto, give it a rest - you've already had your day(s) in the sun!
04. Calexico - The Guns Of Brixton
Way to creepify The Clash, guys!
03. Franz Ferdinand - All My Friends
Already a contender for song of the year, this cover turns up the ROCK element.
02. Bloc Party - Say It Right
I prefer this infinitely to the Nelly Furtado version.
01. Grizzly Bear - He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)
The Crystals' hit is still relevant in this day and age!
05. Arcade Fire - Surf City Eastern Bloc
An epic sweeping anthem - classic Arcade Fire! However, I can't see this fitting on Neon Bible either. So, great B-side!
04. Metric - Hardwire
"Hardwire" plays to Metric's strengths - dancey keyboard-driven pop and minimal guitars!
03. Built To Spill - They Got Away
Built To Spill takes a stab at reggae/dub with intriguing results!
02. Sufjan Stevens - In the Words of the Governor
A departure for Sufjan, and frankly, we'd like to hear more of it!
01. Bloc Party - Version 2.0
Bloc Party had a ton of B-sides from A Weekend In The City, so they were statistically bound to top this list! Why isn't this song on the album?
We'll be doing "Year In Review" stuff all week, so y'all come back now, ya hear?
I caught Thao Nguyen filling in with The Rooftop Vigil (formerly Parasol) a few months ago and now I'm here to tell you about her solo work - We Brave Bee Stings And All will be out January 29, 2008 on Kill Rock Stars. On it, you'll find the most toe-tapping and wistful alternative-folk songs you've ever heard!
Thao Nguyen - Swimming Pools
Thao Nguyen - Feet Asleep
Thao Nguyen official site
Thao Nguyen on MySpace
Ok guys, here's the 2007 Let's Sexy Fighting Christmas mix! Many of our favorite artists have written xmas songs, or unintentionally written them though their use of bells, 60's pop, and 6/8 time signatures. Have a crack at it kiddies, and happy holidays!
01. Andre 3000 - My Favorite Things
02. Robbers On High Street - Season's Greetings
03. Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill
04. The Wrens - I Guess We're Done
05. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Underwater (You And Me)
06. The OneUps - Super Mario's Sleigh Ride
07. Sufjan Stevens - Get Behind Me, Santa!
08. Weezer - The Christmas Song
09. The Pipettes - White Christmas
10. Big Love Hospital - All My Friends Are Snowmen
11. Elk City - Cherries In The Snow
12. Department Of Eagles - No One Does It Like You
13. Giant Drag - God Only Knows
14. Mystery Jets - Flakes
15. Takeshi Terauchi & The Bunnys - Theme From Swan Lake
16. Super Furry Animals - Run-Away
17. Tapes 'n Tapes - Manitoba
18. Erlend Oye - Last Christmas
19. The Weakerthans - Night Windows
20. Paul Anka - Mr. Brightside
Sorry for the delay folks, having a very busy time recently! It's almost time to drop the LSF year end lists, and christmas mix. Bear with me! Just gonna leave you guys off with an old Weezer demo by Rivers...simple chord changes but heartfelt. If only he could still write songs like this!
Rivers Cuomo - Longtime Sunshine
Weezer official site
Weezer on MySpace
Looks like The Buddyrevelles could be next year's Wrens! Having released their last album in 2000, Don't Quit finds the Wisconsin natives back with their Superchunk-meets-Built-To-Spill guitars and pretty pop melodies. I also like to sell them to friends as "The Forms decide to play songs with regular time signatures and get Benjamin Gibbard to sing."
Speaking of The Wrens, can you imagine it's been almost 5 years since The Meadowlands came out?
The Buddyrevelles - I Dream Of Rodney
The Budddyrevelles - The Foreigner
The Buddyrevelles official site
The Buddyrevelles on MySpace